Thursday 18 July 2013

Death in the Digital Age.

Hey guys it's Jess!

I have never been able to get my head around death and I mean I'm sure that's a normal reaction. Throughout my 19 years of living I've experienced three people die, the first person I did not really know but she was my aunt. Which meant that I as an 8 year old cried at her funeral, however I did not know what was actually going on. Now that I've experienced other deaths I still however do not know what actually happens. 

Which brings me to the point of this weeks post. Death. This week hasn't come with someone who died who I was close with however it came from the death of (if you've been living under a rock) Cory Monteith. I've watched this man on Glee for the last four years. He was not my favourite character nor was he my 'idol', but it was still a heart breaking moment to know that he died (yes, I know why he died, so whatever). 

What made me sick was that not only did I find out almost right after he was found, there were many news reports and speculations about his death when you just searched his name. It makes me sad to think that that can happen so closely to someone's death. 
Which brings me to my next point the Digital Age. Growing in such a technological age has made me reap the benefits and the hurt of this technology. By being able to see someone's death before even the family know (yes this has happened) makes me SICK a family should know before the whole world. 

Social media allows us to stay in touch, get to know and understand people we have met/never met in our lives which makes it difficult to say that we never share anything about ourselves. A lot of teenagers share everything. What happens when something tragic happens to them? When they stop uploading facebook statuses? When they stop uploading selfies on instagram? Everyone they know will know something has happened, they will talk and they will speculate which means that is there too. Search their name you'll find it I'm sure. 


The point of this was just I'm disappointed and scared about where our technology in this time is going to take us. What is the future going to hold for us? 

See you next week!








Song I've been listening to one repeat this week!





No comments:

Post a Comment